The following was taken from the December 21, 1983 North Platte Telegraph. The clipping was found in the McPherson County history book. It is written by Maudene Sowders and Sharron Hollen.
|Tryon's population was listed as over 2,000 when this photo|
was taken about 1912. At one point McPherson County had
20 post offices, five towns and 63 school districts. The
trail road in the foreground is now Highway 97.
One of the first actions taken by the newly appointed McPherson County Commissioners - Heber Newberry, William E. Wisner and Henry Brown - was to make provisions for safekeeping county records. in a corner of the sod building they erected a brick vault and installed a steel door and safe. With the purchase of record books they declared county government to be officially in operation.
By 1910 Tryon had become a bustling frontier town with a population of 2,470. The growing pains prompted progressive citizens to call for a more modern courthouse and in 1916 a $4,000 bond issue for construction of a new building was placed before the voters. They turned it down.
|McPherson County Courthouse, circa about 1983.|
In 1926, Tryon, county seat of McPherson County, held dedication ceremonies for the new two story brick structure that serves to this day (1983) as the county's courthouse.
The vault door, considered so important by the 1890-era county commissioners is also in use. It is in the McPherson County Superintendent of School's office. The steel safe, originally installed inside the soddy's brick vault, is now in the county sheriff's office on the lower level of the building.
|New McPherson County Courthouse|