Saturday, May 23, 2009

Western Trails Historic and Scenic Byway

Planning a Memorial Day road trip?  Consider the Western Trails Historic and Scenic Byway in western Nebraska.  It takes you off the beaten path of I-80 and into some of the most beautiful and rugged country side to be found in Nebraska.


You'll skirt Nebraska's largest lake - Lake McConaughy, which is sure to be hopping tomorrow with people enjoying the un-official start of summer. OK, so there is a 70% chance of thunderstorms, but that does mean a 30% chance that it's going to be beautiful!

From there, you'll pass several important landmarks on the Oregon Trail - Ash Hollow, Chimney Rock, Courthouse Rock and Scotts Bluff National Monument.

What ever you do, be sure to spend a quiet moment reflecting on the sacrifice of everyone who serves or has served in America's armed forces.  There is bound to be a ceremony at some time during the day at a cemetery near you.

Thanks for stopping by.  The coffee is always on.

ShareThis